Thursday, February 24, 2011

Room-Decorating Syndrome (we've all been exposed to this one) ~ Guest Blogger: Jayne

One of the most exciting things about moving to a new place is thinking about how you want to decorate!  When I was moving into my studio in Las Olas, decorating was all I thought about for weeks, and when Ben and I moved in together a couple months ago, again, it's all I thought about.  I would literally dwell over the positioning of the couches, what color pillows would match the first rug we bought, and what color tablecloth would look best with our wall color.  It became obsessive, but it was so fun!  I would send Ben emails with room styles I thought were cool about twice a week.  I know I'm not the only one who suffers from room-decorating syndrome, I've heard a few anecdotes myself.  And last year in July, I was lucky enough to be there while Jayne started her move-in process into a chic studio in Boston.

Jayne's studio is the cutest thing ever.  Not only does she have vintage-looking brick walls, but the location is great!  She is right underneath an Italian restaurant...nom nom nom.  Plus, she has the best of both worlds.  A small town feel in the heart of Boston but a big city feel because you can walk everywhere from her place (including a delicious restaurant called Anchovies where their fries are amazingggg).  One of the best parts of her place is you can walk to the top floor of the building and get a great view overlooking the city.  Great for laying out, relaxing, reading and pretty much anything. 

While I was in Boston last July, Jayne was mid-moving in.  She had a lot of great ideas that over the next couple months came together perfectly!  I wasn't able to see the final look in person, but she sent me some pictures of a few little gems in her apartment that she can't get enough of (and I can't either).


Let's start off with a panoramic view of her kitchen.  Not sure if you could tell, but there is an awesome looking wine rack on the top right of the photo.  Yep, Jayne built this little gem.  I thought it was such a great idea and I'm pretty jealous of it.  OH, and it's not in this picture, but she has one of those cute chandeliers above the entrance in her apartment--a great addition to a vintage-inspired studio. 



While I was in Boston, Jayne, her mom and I went shopping on Newbury Street.  I don't even know where to begin with the shopping there...amazing vintage stores, chic restaurants and new clothing stores lined the street.  Next time I'm in Boston, Jayne, we are going back!  Anyways, while shopping, we stopped into Anthropologie so Jayne could get knobs for her cabinets, but she didn't pick out plain, boring knobs--nope.  She decided to give her kitchen a vintage-artsy-unique-one of a kind-super hot look (I love this idea shown below...) by picking out different knobs for each cabinet.  The final look is beautiful!


A few months ago, Jayne purchased what I seriously think may be one of the most apartment savvy pieces.  She told me that every time people come to her apartment, they rave about this little gem.  Watch the transformation below:

Nice little desk, perfect for a computer and some books.


OH wait, what's that?  You need to get by?  Let me just fold my desk for you.


Ta da!  Now its a shelf!


And by shelf, I mean shelf with drawers.


Great for storing your favorite things--including Nintendo (I love how you still have this, Jayne).


Feeling hungry?  Let me set the table...



So there you have it...a table/shelf/drawer set/desk all in one, a cabinet-lovers paradise, a vintage-chic living space, and a wine-ohs dream rack! 

Next time you catch Room-Decorating Syndrome, take some of Jayne's ideas as inspiration for you!

Cough cough,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...