Monday, February 28, 2011

DIY? No I DIMS.

I have to admit that until the MAGIC Trade Show in Vegas, I had no idea what DIY meant.  Eric from P.S. I Made This kept referring to the acronym, and after giving it some thought, I finally figured it out.  DIY = Do It Yourself (which now makes total sense given she has instructional posts and videos on her blog where she takes expensive looking pieces and makes them herself on the dime--whew that was a long sentence).  I love this concept, but unfortunately, I'm not the craftiest of people...

Not to bring up touchy subjects, but I know we've all had our fair shair of DIY moments in the past.  Some good and some truly not so good.  If I recall, back in high school I took what was once I nice dress, ripped it up, made a few knots and turned it into something I can't believe I'm even talking about.  It was a gray jersey dress, but after my transformation, it became the bane of my existance.  Let's just say there is a very embarassing picture where I look 3 months pregnant with the dress on.  Talk about a little gem.  This is where I came up with this new acronym: DIMS.  "Do It Make-Shift." 

As I had mentioned in my Vegas Day 2 blog post, I attended one of P.S. I Made This's DIY tutorials.  I was left without the proper equipment due to vulture-like movements from the audience.  Instead of 2 strings of beads, 2 ribbons and a broach, I had 2 strings of beads, 1 ribbon and no broach.  Erica attempted to make something out of the few pieces some of us were left with, but honestly, what she came up with was lacking.  So, when I got home, I had a DIMS session of my own.  And here's what I made (yep there's a bow):



A nice little lady in the elevator on the way up to the condo complimented my necklace after I wore it to work that day.  At first, I thought she was being sarcastic, but when I told her I made it myself, she was in honest-to-goodness disbelief.  With this realization, she started to encourage me to make more and sell them for a profit.  Probably won't do that, but hey, at least someone thought it was neat!

DIMS-ing it,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...