Monday, May 9, 2011

My Ripley's Believe it Or Not...haven't had candy since 4/21

Believe it.  If you have known me for the past 24 years of my life, you know that I eat pretty healthy but when it comes to cookies, icing, candy and chocolate I don't like to hold back (I miss the PIT at wake sometimes...that froyo, those toppings, that icing oh man).  I used to store candy/chocolates in my bottom left drawer at work until about two and a half weeks ago.  It all started 4/21 to be exact.  I would open the drawer at 10am for a chocolate covered peanut snack, open it at 1pm for an after lunch dessert and come home and have ice cream with cookies on it with Ben right before bed. I was addicted.  Then, I found out my cholesterol was 19 points too high.  While that's not bad, I still decided it was time for me to do something about my addiction.  So, since April 21st, I have not had cookies, cakes, icing or chocolate!  Well, besides proten bars with chocolate chips, but there is a greater balance of health in those bars.  Now, my desserts consist of peanut butter and pretzels, granola (homemade with dried fruit, nuts, oats and sweetened with honey and some sweetened condensed milk), fruit, and cereals like apple jacks, frosted flakes and captain crunch (those may be sugary but they have whole grains and fiber so it's better than a chocolate chip cookie in my book!). 

With these massive changes in my life (seriously, massive) I actually noticed a change in the way my body feels, my energy levels and my mood.  All three are much more positive and I feel a lot better!

On Tuesday morning, I read an article in the Shape magazine from last month that I finally got to called "Mood Munchies."  This article verified what I have been feeling and made me realize it really wasn't just in my head.  Pretty much, it says we are what we eat when it comes to "feeling blue."  A study showed that people who consume even a small amount of saturated fats (all those things I was eating...WAS EATING) can alter your brain chemistry.  The study said taht you have a 48% higher chance of suffering from depression (all based on a 6 years study period). 

So take it from a former sweets addict (I hope this sticks!), that you can do it!!!!!  Leave a comment or let me know if you decide to change and how you feel.  I'm thinking we can get a good blog roll out of this one.

Love,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...